The college has NSS unit and it is headed by Ms.A.Karolin, Programme officer of NSS. There are many opportunities at Holy Cross Home Science College for students to engage in service to the community through various awareness programmes to public sector. The NSS volunteers at Holy Cross Home Science College are involved in a wide spectrum of activities such as
- Blood Donation camp
- Health care camp
- Diet counseling camp
- Income generation programmes
- AIDS awareness programmes
- Campus cleaning
- Sapling Plantation
- Social Service
The NSS unit adopts a village once in 5 years and works for the development of the village.
YOUTH RED CROSS
The Youth Red Cross is a service oriented movement. It was launched in our college in the year 2009. The focus of the YRC is to provide service through YRC camps and other programmes and educate the people on health, hygiene and other social aspects of life. The wings of the YRC movement of the college with a strength of 431 students and 2 YRC programme officers work steadfastly preparing the youth for responsible citizenship. Our students have distinguished themselves through their commitment and service. We feel extremely proud to say that our college won Best Performance Award from Indian Red Cross Society, Thoothukudi District Branch for rendering services in the year 2014-2015 by our YRC students at Thoothukudi Government Hospital under the service ‘‘May I Help You.’’
- To inculcate in the youth an awareness on the care of their own health and that of others.
- To understand and accept civic responsibilities with humanitarian concern.
- To maintain a spirit of service and to cultivate helping tendencies to the needy people.
- To promote the qualities of leadership and traits of personality among the youth.
- To promote the spirit of self-reliance and dignity of labour among the youth.
- HEALTH - the idea of protecting health and life
- SERVICE- to the sick and suffering
- FRIENDSHIP - Promotion of National and International friendship of the youth
The Fundamental Principles of the Youth Red Cross movement are as follows :
- Voluntary Service
Activities of the YRC:
- Encouraging the YRC students to serve for the needy people in Thoothukudi Government Hospital under the service centre ‘‘May I Help You.’’
- Orientation classes for the first year YRC students
- Blood group identification camp.
- Camp on disaster management.
- Visit to the home for the aged, mentally and physically challenged etc.
- Visit to Juvenile Prison
- Conducting Free eye check-up
- Organizing First - Aid Training camp
- Relief work during emergencies like flood, fire and other natural calamities
YRC Working Committee :
The following are the working committee of the Youth Red Cross in the College.
- Chairman – Rev. Dr. Sr. Mary Hilda,Secretary & Principal.
- YRC Co-ordinator – Ms.S. Dyana Flora, Asst. Prof of English
- YRC Programme Officer – Ms.A. Leela Thomas, Asst. Prof of English
- YRC Student Representatives – Ms.Siva Gomathi, III B.A. English Literature,
Ms.Elen Priyanka, II B.Sc Food Science and Nutrition
The Red Ribbon Club is a voluntary on-campus intervention programmes for students in educational institutions. It is initiated and supported by the State AIDS Control Society and implemented through multi-sectoral collaboration, particularly, using the services of cadre officers of the State's National Service Scheme (NSS). The Red Ribbon club is functioning actively in our college since 2005. The programme will address the knowledge, attitude and behavior of the youths in the interrelated areas of Voluntary Blood Donation, HIV & AIDS and sexuality, as demanded by their age, environment, and life style.
“A healthy body paves way for a healthy body” Yoga sessions are conducted by yoga masters to staff & students to maintain them both healthy body & mind.