Holy cross Home Science College, Thoothukudi, established in 1975, is administered by the Society of the Sisters of the Cross of Chavanod, Madurai Province. The college is affiliated to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli. It was Re-accredited with 'B' grade by NAAC.
In order to create an aesthetic sense among the women of Thoothukudi, the sisters dreamed of starting a technical institution. The campus which housed the Tamil Literature Society was purchased by the sisters in 1955 from the Tuticorin Diocesan Association represented by the Bishop of Tuticorin.
The pioneers of this institution were
In the same year (1955), the sisters started a technical school for needle work, dress-making and embroidery and also a nursery school. In November 1955, the first set of girls was sent for the Government Technical Examination. In 1966, the technical school was raised to the status of Home Science Academy with the introduction of two year Diploma Course in Home Science. Sr. Rita served as the Director and Sr. Audrey as Assistant.
The thrust of this academy was to train young girls for an ideal family life and to live as better citizens. They were taught Human Development, Textiles, Food and Nutrition and Home Management. Besides young girls, married women also attended Certificate Courses in Cookery and Needle Work. The course was approved by the Tamil Nadu Government and the first batch of students appeared for the Government Examination in 1968. This course was in vogue until 1995.
Early in February 1973, the University of Madras had asked the sisters to take up B.Sc Degree Course in Home Science. Then Holy Cross Home Science Academy was raised to the status of a college in 1975 with the introduction of B.Sc, Degree Course in Home Science. The college was first affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai. Sr.Elizabeth Rose was appointed as the first Principal of the college. Since 1990, the college is affiliated to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
A nursery school within the campus, provided facilities to learn the behavioural pattern of little ones and also the psychological, emotional and social changes that occur during their pre-school period. This formed a part of the practical work in Human Development studies in B.Sc Food Science and Nutrition.
Dr.Sr.Phyllis served as the Principal of the college from 1978 to 2002. Thanks to the efforts taken by Sr.Phyllis, in 1994 the P.G Diploma Course in Nutrition Food Science Management and Dietetics (NFSMD) was started.
Dr.Sr.Mary Gilda was the Principal of the college from 2002-2010. To cater to the growing needs of the student community, she introduced M.Sc in Dietetics and Food Management in 2003 and B.Com with Computer Application, B.Sc Fashion Designing and Apparel Making in 2006 and B.Sc Computer Science in 2007. Besides, she added more infrastructure facilities to the college. B.A English Literature and MBA were introduced under Satellite Programme of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University in 2010 and 2012 respectively. Sr. Rubha succeeded Dr.Sr.Mar Gilda as Principal In-charge from 2010-2011. Dr.Sr.Rosalie Joseph was assumed charge as Principal in 2011. B.A English was introduced in 2013. Two new courses in Commerce - B.Com & M.Com were started in the academic year 2014-2015. From 2015-16, Dr. Sr. Mary Gilda has taken charge as Principal and Secretary of our college. M.A English was introduced in the academic year 2016-17.